Sunday, March 02, 2014

the king

You knew it was only a matter of time . . . until I got another game, um, or two.

And yes, I should have picked up “King of Tokyo” about a year ago, but there were just so many other shiny objects to purchase first . . .

Ahem . . .

So, I did finally pick this up at the Gigantus Game Store in the Mega Metropolis this weekend, and we played it last night.

The indication that it is a hit with my family - my daughter wanted to play it again immediately after we finished.

We didn’t get the chance to since it was so late, but here is how it went.

I was Gigasaur, my wife was Cyberbunny and my daughter was the Kraken . . .

Which means little since all monster stats are created equal. My wife sprung out to a huge point lead but stayed one turn too long in Tokyo and was crushed (by me) and then my daughter just couldn’t put enough hurt on me to get me to leave.

And so I won by points . . . sounds dull, but it was really fun. Oh, and there are about a hundred (okay, maybe not that many) special ability cards you can buy for your monster at the end of your turn with energy cubes . . .

This is one of the best and most fun family games I’ve played. Well worth the half hour it takes to duke it out with your fellow monsters for control of Tokyo.

I’m looking forward to playing it with a larger group, but it works fine with three as we found out.

I did pick up a second game . . . but I’ll leave that mystery for next week.

Hey, I need to have some hook here to make you come back . . . er, okay.

And it is March, and it is damn cold, and I’m going out soon to shovel another pile of snow from the driveway . . . remind me of this when I bitch and moan about how hot it is in July.

Well, now that I’ve strayed into talking about the weather, it is a sure sign that I have nothing else of interest to talk about and so . . .

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment