Sunday, January 19, 2014

what an Awesome week

Some weeks are pretty dull for me, and not so great - in fact, some kinda suck hard.

However, once in a while a week comes along that just fills my cup with happy juice - this week was one of those!

Where to start?

Okay, first off, as you know, I’ve been dabbling in doing playthroughs of games I enjoy over on the YouTubes - and my first playthrough was of Dawn of the Zeds 2nd edition which is a solo game put out by Victory Point Games where you must fend off waves of zombies intent on overrunning your town center and having themselves a brain smorgasbord.

I really, really like it - challenging and fun and tense and all things great for a session of solo board gaming.

Now, an expansion is looming called “The director’s cut” and I have been asked to be an “official” playtester for that game.

Yeah, needed a few minutes to find my jaw when I read the email from the designer of the game - so, um, yes and please and thank you.

Soon, I will get my copy of the expansion and a new map and start playing it - looking for issues and reporting back. I think I may even show up on the box or rules or somewhere as an official playtester. That is just plain awesome.

Good news of the week number 1.

Next came tennis aerobics on Friday. I was hitting the ball well, getting my exercise and sweating a lot when the tennis pro running the session says - “hey, I have a racket for you” and during a break he goes and gets it.

It is a pristine Dunlop Max 200G - the exact same racket I love, love, love manufactured back in the 80s. And yes, I got it for the grand total of nothing! I was floored - like really, you are just going to give this to me?

Yes, he says - it seemed one of the members of the club was cleaning out his house and getting rid of old stuff and so I ended up with this awesome racket for nothing.

They go on Ebay for about 140 bucks - no kidding - and I got it for free. And yes, I use them all the time. I had two of them, now I have 3. I could not be more happy about this. Just Wow!

Good news of the week number 2.

But it doesn’t stop there - My YouTube efforts of presenting board game playthroughs is really picking up steam. I’m now over 10,000 views of my videos and just topped 100 subscribers to my channel. Again, I’m like - seriously?

Good news of the week number 3.

And, to top it all off, after changing my email to gmail and sending it out to all my contacts, my long lost but good friend Al sends me a response wanting to reconnect and catch up.

We used to chat once a week, no joke, a few years ago, then he moved out to California to be with his daughter (Alyson Hannigan) and we kinda lost touch - you may know his daughter as Lily on “How I Met Your Mother”, or “Willow” from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I was so overjoyed for Al’s move all those years ago so he could spend time with his daughter and grandkids (two now) and I like to think I played a small role in making this happen - I could be deluding myself, but I like to think I helped.

Good news of the week number 4.

Anyhow, what more can I say - I have had a purely awesome week, and I can only hope anyone reading this catches some of the magic fairy dust that must have rained down on me.

Now, I’ll just be on my way with a big smile on my face.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment