Sunday, August 11, 2013

the great lair purge

And so it begins - the great purge of my vast collection of books and stuff located in my basement lair.

As we continue to gut the rest of our house of not-needed items, I turn my eye now inwards towards my too large 30-year collection.

My goal is to reduce my book collection by half or more. In its heyday my collection reached almost 1900 books. Today I have ten full bookshelves and about 1400 books, but by the end of this month I am going to make it five bookshelves and maybe around 800 books.

Towards that end, yesterday I took away 27 boxes of books, around 400 or so. They are off to auction and will likely clutter up somebody else’s house.

It’s refreshing to get rid of things, but it’s also been mentally hard to do. I did collect these books for over 30 years after all.

But the reality is most, if not all, of these collected works are available via ebook or library so I don’t need them in my collection anymore taking up space - and they do take up a lot of space.

I also need to pair down my game collection. I will sell the ones that really get no love and try to make my one closet less stuffed with them.

In other news, with my offspring is starting high school next month (yeah, really) and we needed another computer for her to work on. So, the obvious choice - a Mac - of course.

I’m stoked about it since I can get back to music creation using GarageBand and making better videos for YouTube using IMovie.

The computer is dead quiet and has the same hardware as my PC. Did I mention I’m stoked . . . oh, yeah, I already did.

And today I will be gathering with some victims . . . um, friends to run them through a game of Mansions of Madness, my latest game acquisition.

I know, I know - there is little hope for a cure there but maybe I will have a number picked and never go over that many games. Say 30, or something.

So, once I pick that magic number then, every time I buy a new game, an old one must go.

I need to ruminate on that for a bit, but it sounds like a solid policy to adopt.

Well, much cleaning and purging happened this week and more will happen next week.

And this coming week I’ll be learning the ins and outs of GarageBand and IMovie so you can look forward to some more creative projects from me soon.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment