Sunday, September 23, 2012

today is game day

Yup, today I get to put on my Geek pants and head off to a local game convention.

There will be Call of Cthulhu.

There will be Mage Knight.

There will be Lords of Waterdeep.

There will be Last Night on Earth . . .

Yeah, I’m a Geek and I’m pretty excited to join fellow Geeks in this all day game session.

And it’s not that I’ve just jumped on the band wagon because of Tabletop . . . no, I’ve been a board and RPG gamer since high school . . . which was, um, a long time ago.

Speaking of games, I’m really getting close to completing my prototype Sci-Fi board game. In fact, I could play a session of it right now, but I have a few more cards to make and a few more tweaks to do on the board and rules.

My daughter is adamant that I MUST colour the game board before I allow anyone to test play it . . . um, okay.

Maybe I’ll get her to do it?

Then again, a space game with smiley faces and rainbows may not be the effect I’m looking for.

And just this past week a friend and I gave Star Trek: Fleet Captains a go . . . and it was, pretty anti-climactic. The game, while thematically excellent with totally awesome mini ships, suffers from a point system that pretty much sucks - IMO.

I’m thinking with some alterations the game may be made much more enjoyable with regards to point scoring. I will need to think on it.

Tennis? Yeah, I couldn’t leave out some tennis talk in a blog post, now could I?

I have been sucking pretty much. The new strings, grippy and springy, are causing me more grief than success. As per the week before, I ripped a few backhands, but my other shots still suffer.

I’m thinking I’ll need to play another dozen of so sessions to get the feel of the strings. And don’t even get me started on my aging body . . . all I can say is my patellar tendons (yes, both sides now) flair up pretty much regularly now and it’s a total pain in the . . . shins!

And I’m currently reading "The Last Wish" by Polish author, Andrzej Sapkowski.

I’m darn impressed. I’ve played some of The Witcher PC game which was based off of Andrezej’s novels and I’m intrigued by his character or Geralt.

Well worth a read if you can find it out there.

Now, I’ve got to go find some appropriate Geek wear and limber up my dice fingers for the day ahead.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment