Sunday, September 09, 2012

building new habits

As part of my new regiment of "doing more creative writing" I’ve been working on a way to build my writing habit back up to speed this past week.

No, I’m not building up to take on NaNoWriMo again this year - did it twice in years past - both times it burned me out of writing for months afterwards.

What I’m doing is getting up before the sun, making coffee, eating breakfast and then coming straight to my lair and doing nothing, and I mean noting, but writing for the first hour of the day.

That means no email.

That means no internet.

That means no games.

That means no going to the bathroom . . . er, wait . . . skip this one.

And just how did it go?

Fantastic. In fact I’m typing this up - yes, this is considered part of my writing session - without having goofed off one little bit.

I think I read somewhere, years ago, that to build a habit you need to do something for at least three weeks straight before it starts to gel.

True?

I’ll let you know in two more weeks . . .

And, as part of another of my fall objectives to stay in shape during the coming winter season, I have purchased an elliptical trainer. It’s a device that mashes stair climbing and cross country skiing into one piece of exercise, or should I say extermination equipment.

I believe the rack would be less torturous, but since I’ve never been on the rack I can’t give an honest direct comparison, though I imagine both having similar results.

Of course, its lingering painful aftereffects may have less to do with the device and more to do with the fact that I’m not "Mr. Twenty" anymore. It seems my body protests when confronted with having to strain muscles that have lain dormant for years, perhaps decades . . .

Well, suck it body! - You are getting into shape if it kills you . . . er, okay, maybe just makes you hurt a bit since I kind of need my body for day to day living . . .

And I finished a short story this week which, with a few minor content tweaks, I may sneak up hear before next Sunday - but I can’t promise.

Of course, you could leave comments demanding that I do so thus goading me into doing it - your choice.

And wow, where does the time and space go . . .

And do I get bonus points for using "thus" and "goading" in same sentence?

Didn't think so . . .

Until next Sunday . . . or I post that short story because of external pressures . . .

1 comment:

  1. I hate those 'external pressures' seeing as how it is much harder to relieve them in the normal ways...

    ReplyDelete