Sunday, July 01, 2012

new board game


What else?

As you have likely discovered if you’ve read my posts before, I have a fondness . . . okay, maybe a slight addiction, to board games and their ilk.

So my Birthday came and went this past week and I took a trip into The Big Smoke to check out a game store and spend my birthday coin on a board game.

And this store was absolutely a board gamers wet dream. The staff are all hard-core board gamers too and really know their stuff.

They had, at a guess, about 1,000 board games in stock. Now the best part. Their prices were incredible and when I say incredible, I mean incredible.

So I asked them how they do it. How do they meet or beat the other online store’s discounted game prices and stay in business.

And as you would suspect I got the standard, and legitimate, answer - Volume!

So, I know you are just dying to know what game I bought, right?

Well, I got "Star Trek: Fleet Captains."

I’ve had one chance so far to set it up and give it a whirl. What I’ve found I like a whole bunch.

There is exploration. There are an abundance of cool Star Trek themed encounters. And yes, there is combat. Included, mashed together, is TOS, TNG, DS9, Enterprise, Voyager and all the movies except for the last one released. That’s a ton of Star Trek lore stuffed into one game.

How does this work? Well, pretty well but it is a bit odd to be able to assign Kirk to the Voyager along with Wesley Crusher . . . but hey, this is not reality anyhow. Star Trek show purists will just have to suck it.

It is primarily a two player game though four can play as two teams of two. So far the base game, which is what this is, has two factions to play. The Federation and the Klingons. The Romulan expansion is coming in October I think . . . yeah, you know what is going to happen.

But back to this game, both factions work well and a bit differently.

And the heroclix ships are pretty spot on cool though the clix bases are very stiff and I can see snapping a ship right off its post if you play the game twisting the bases all the time. I solved that problem by just using an indicator on the ship cards themselves. Way less hassle.

Each Federation ship model is unique, but there are multiple duplicates on the Klingon side even though they have unique names and slightly different stats.

Overall impression - It’s a bit confusing on how the game works and how the rules work but after I scan and digest the FAQ online that should clear up a whole lot of the ambiguous issues and game flow questions.

It plays pretty quickly too. I would say under 2 hours for sure. And the game is scalable so you can make a smaller game (less tiles and fewer ships) or a longer game (more tiles and more ships) depending on what kind of time you have to dedicate to a session.

Very fun and I can’t wait to try it out with friends.

Oh, and I got a half dozen very nice 6 sided dice as well for my own game design - which is coming along well.

Geez, how the time flies here when I’m talking games.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment