Sunday, July 08, 2012

elder signs

So, I had a couple more chances to set up and play mock games of Star Trek: Fleet Captains and here are my further thoughts.

It seems to me that a lot of victory points happen way too easily from random Encounters.

All you need to do, it would appear, is just explore as much space as possible as fast as possible and voila - lots of free victory points. And if you start the game with 4 ships vs your opponents 3 ships you have a pretty big edge.

Huh.

Maybe I’m playing it wrong? Which brings me to another niggling irritant of the game. The rule book and the rules in general are about the worst I’ve ever tried to decipher . . . ever. And yeah, I’ve played many board games - tons of many.

And the FAQ is little help. It’s almost as ambiguous and confused as the rules themselves. The game is still playable and pretty fun - but there are way to many instances of "can you do this?" with the response of "don’t know" then "what do the rules say" followed by, "not clear."

Looks like this game is going to get a lot of house rules applied and making up the logic of rules as you go along and run into situations not clearly described in the rule book.

One thing which makes no sense to me is - if you have a ship stat which is set to zero, you can still use it. But, if your opponent plays a card which reduces a stat to zero it is considered disabled and you can’t use it?

Again with the, huh? This is just one of many such examples.

Maybe with the Romulan expansion the new rule book will make most of the unclear rules clear. That’s my hope anyhow.

And speaking of elder signs . . . that was another game I picked up while game shopping. It was just over 20 bucks. Cheap.

I can best describe it as Arkham Horror lite.

Same characters, same spells, same items, but a much more watered down version of Arkham Horror - which is not to say it is not as good - just quite different.

Haven’t had a chance to really play much of it so can’t say how much I, or my gaming group, will like it.

And what is with my waking up stiff and aching most every day? Man, this getting older thing is starting to grate.

I exercise most every single day so it’s not like I’m just sitting on the couch in front of the tube every day atrophying. So, it must be the old age thing. Sheesh already.

I guess 48 is the new 80 . . .

Yes, I didn’t mention tennis this week . . . until now.

I’m only playing twice a week this summer and alternating between hard courts outdoor on Tuesdays and then clay courts indoor on Fridays.

It is as difficult to adjust as you can imagine, but I do it for my health . . .

Oh, and one last item. Star Trek: Birth of the Federation works on Windows 7 64 bit . . . just saying . . .

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. Zilla's Other Half9:00 am

    I thought you had run away to Ottawa? Yes, Elder Sign is the one we've been playing on the Ipad. Different, likely shorter, exact same characters. With the Star Trek game, make sure to check the online forums and the game website. Rule issues sometimes get posted and clarified there like they did with Arkham.

    ReplyDelete