Sunday, June 24, 2012

new designs


What have I been doing this past week?

Um, well, designing and creating a board game - what else!

As you may or may not know, I’m pretty much a game fanatic. I love games of all sorts - a lot.

Computer, Board, RPG, dice . . . you name it and I pretty much love it.

And lately, with Wil Wheaton’s Tabletop showing up on my computer every other week, I’ve been getting even more stoked about them.

So, I got to thinking, if I like games so much why don’t I design one and see if I can make it a good one.

I also like Science Fiction - a lot.

The natural course for me to take then is designing a Science Fiction themed board game.

That’s what I’m up to.

I’m trying to come up with a game that has elements of Twilight Imperium 3, but a much more easy to learn and play and finish game while retaining the exploration and surprise encounter elements I really like in a game.

I’m also mixing in some features from such games as Runebound, Arkham Horror and Defenders of the Realm.

And I’m having a blast doing it. It really is true that if you are doing something you really love to do the time just blows by before you know it.

So far I have the prototype board made, most of the game pieces made (though I’m still searching dollar stores for a few appropriate pieces on the cheap) and, well, I’m scamming the Twilight Imperium 3 board game ship pieces . . . A bit tough to "make", so thanks Fantasy Flight for already providing them for me.

Of course, when I hammer out the rules and get it all set up I will game test if with our gaming group and see how it flies.

It should work fine for 1 - 6 players. Oh, and it uses d12 dice . . . yeah, d12s . . . I like d12s . . .

Which reminds me that today is games day for our group. Woot!

We will be playing some Zombie Dice for sure and then Battling the four generals in Defenders fo the Realm.

Have I mentioned how much I like games? . . .

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite sure but is there a chance you like games or something?

    ReplyDelete