Sunday, April 01, 2012

no fooling

Yes, it’s April 1st, and no, I’m not about to play any tricks on my family or friends.

Must be getting old . . . er.

Which is sad in a way - kind of like I’m losing my sense of fun and humour these days.

I’ve felt lately like that 12 year old inside of me was hit by a train and is still recovering in a full-body cast, comatose, mouth wired shut, instruments beeping beside a hospital bed.

I think I’m mostly waiting for summer to come full on so I can go for long walks in short pants again.

And I’ve been coming to terms with my body’s ability, and limited range of agility, on the tennis court. I’ve managed to get back to the top court on both the Friday and Sunday men's doubles leagues, but I’ve had to cut down to playing only three times a week for fear of seriously injuring myself beyond repair.

I’m on the cusp of being too old to go at it like a teenager.

I can still play with spurts of that level of effort and enthusiasm, but it comes with a high price. Like my right ankle in pain, and my neck stiffening up, and my right shoulder starting to bother me.

And that is just this morning’s short list of aliments.

Ibuprofen can only accomplish so much.

But, on a positive note, fewer hours on the court mean more hours behind the keyboard working on my new project.

It’s all in the formative stage right now, but I have a first chapter jelling in my head and it will likely come tumbling out in time for May’s reading night.

After that I’m going to do a quick sketch of the novel and then party like it's NanoWriMo 1999.

Once it’s all down in puked-out, first-draft form then I’ll go over it again and make it comprehensible to others.

Well, not much else to relate today except likely resting and finishing yet another book this afternoon while I nurse my many aches and pains.

That would be book number 30 read so far this year . . . no, there is no cure for that.

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. Grondzilla4:42 pm

    So the message you need to be taking away from your recent trials and tribulations is that you need to figure out the *new way* to play your game that will let you keep playing it into old age (like those old dudes you mentioned in the past). Otherwise it is 'play foolishly until you blow something out completely' and then spend the rest of your life regretting it. Doesn't sound like a good trade off. I know this issue with regards to my labours around the homestead. I/we have to figure how to ease off the throttle a little bit and extend the life of the machine. Instead of feeling like I want to be in traction every time I exert a little too enthusiastically.

    ReplyDelete