Sunday, March 04, 2012

despite the d

I am so ready for Spring to spring. I feel the need for more sunlight even though I’m sucking down lots of Vitamin D every day in pill form.

I know we have not had a real winter this year, but I’m really looking forward to having more daylight hours to enjoy and the return of warmer temperatures.

The length of days is already starting to change though and that is making me happy. I don’t like when it gets dark by 5. That is somehow, just wrong.

As you can tell I have pretty much nil to share this week.

I’ve been spending a lot of time reading and have so far completed 22 books this year . . . yeah, a bit much. I think Goodreads.com has temporarily caused the frenzy. I’m sure it will peter off after another month or so.

Oh, and of the 22 books I’ve read, only two have been comic omnibus collections.

And I think I may have posted this information last week . . . Oye!

So I may as well talk a bit about tennis and my ongoing struggles of late.

My new rackets (Wilson Blade Tour 93s) are still awesome in the “they don’t hurt my joints” catagory - but I am having a &%#@ of a time learning how to serve properly with them.

Being a lot lighter and ten points head light makes my new rackets feel, at least to me, like I’m swinging a badminton racket instead of a tennis racket and my timing is just plain off on the serve.

I have to work extra hard to get my timing right, and it’s getting me annoyed on court quite a bit. I’ve been double faulting way, way, way too much.

My ground strokes are getting there, but I really need to concentrate as the racket is not forgiving in the least on mishits. This racket is suggested for players of 4.5 or higher rating . . . um, maybe I’ve slipped down to 4.0 or even the 3.5 area, or so it seems. Maybe this is my main problem.

However, the plow through with the rackets being lighter, is just not there compared to my old Max 200Gs . . . still, it’s a learning curve to swing faster, but I think I am improving each time I go out and hit with them.

Bottom line is - when I concentrate really hard, and I mean really hard, my game comes together. But, it’s a chore to focus so intensely on every shot, but in order for me to do well that is precisely what I need to do.

Side benefit - I’m getting in much better physical shape because this racket demands faster swing speeds and more precise hitting making me have to move faster on the court to get into proper hitting position.

Well, I’m off again today for more doubles. I do have to remind myself that I’ve only had these new rackets for a month.

Until next Sunday . . .

Post a Comment