Sunday, February 19, 2012

it is just not fair

I’m not talking our lack of winter.

I’m not talking taxes.

I’m not even talking love, or war, or rigged slot machines.

I’m talking about my body wearing out and not recovering at all well as I approach age 50.

I will try hard not to turn today’s blog into a whine and cheese session, but I find it irritating that I’ve ramped up my tennis to four times a week from three and my body feels like it’s been hit by a truck and then run over by the same truck, several times.

I thought I was in pretty decent shape physically, but it would appear that I was very much mistaken.

Now I find this a bit sad since I see many people at the tennis club, older, some decades even, seemingly in no pain and playing pretty well.

Of course I have no idea how many pain killers they are on, and no, they don’t play nearly as hard as I do.

Which, I think, may be the kicker here.

I really give it my all when I’m out on the court. I mean, you are supposed to, aren’t you?

The last two weeks of doubles I’ve gotten the most points each time, but it would seem the price is wear and tear on my aging body.

It’s a mental challenge for me to come on to the courts and play at say 70 or 80 percent of my energy potential. It would likely stop my body from giving me pain for days afterwards, but I feel like I’m not really doing anything if I don’t serve hard and rush in to volley - or go for my shots and not fluff the ball back like a grandmother . . .

What to do?

On the plus side, my new rackets are working out great! No arm or elbow issues at all. Oh, the pain - where is it, you ask? Mostly back, ankles, neck and trunk. Yes, I do stretch once I’m warmed up.

Again with the pluses. The lighter rackets are only two grams lighter but way more headlight. I’m actually getting better ball control with my shots at the cost of power, but the next time I need to string the rackets I’m going for a much lower tension to help generate the extra oomph I want off the strings.

Well, today, and tomorrow, are tennis doubles days for me. I’ll be sucking on some Ibuprofen before I go and hoping I don’t “really” injure something vital on the courts. I do want to play until at least age 90.

Oh, and I got new lightweight tennis shoes too - but I’m going to burn out my old ones first.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment