Sunday, November 13, 2011

winterizing

Hate to say it, or think it, but I’ve been winterizing the past week.

The yard is cleared of dead leaves - mostly mulched - and both cars have their winter treads on. I even dragged my snow shovel out from under the rubble heap I call a garage which was cleared to allow a car to fit in it. A novel idea I know.

I’m all set for snow - not that I’m looking forward to it.

Still, with the change of weather this means an end to lawn mowing for at least four months.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate mowing lawns? . . .

Thought I would share two comments the head tennis pro at my club said about my game last week.

Number one comment - “If I had you backhand I would still be on the tour” - like, okay then, maybe my backhand is not as bad as I thought. He is not the only one to make this comment to me.

Number two comment - you hit the ball harder than anyone else at this club - um, okay then. When I’m in my groove and connect with the ball well I tend to generate a whole whack of power.

You see, once upon a time I was really good and even today I can still bring forth a glimmer of past glory.

But I really do need to try and not play like I’m twenty anymore. That will lead to injury, and at my advanced age, I don’t want or need that.

So, the plan . . .

Yah, you knew there was going to be a plan.

. . . learn to take some pace off the ball and generate more topspin. The same head pro said to practice using some of the power I generate on my flat ground strokes to create more topspin and less blistering speed.

Hmm, hard for me to wrap my stubborn head around this concept as I’m pretty stuck in my old playing ways.

Still, what he says has great merit and I really should heed him before I pull or strain something beyond repair.

So, I will give his advice a go and see what comes of it.

It’s going to be a bit hard for me to tone it down a notch, but this old dog needs to learn these new tricks before I ruin what’s left of my body.

And I’m starting the plan this very day during my doubles match.

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it but this sounds like wisdom. Shouldn't it be a bit of a fun challenge to actually try to convert your skillset to a slightly different skillset that will be equally good for your game and more importantly improve your game's longeveity? I'd say go for it.

    ReplyDelete