Sunday, November 27, 2011

one on one

Well today is tennis doubles day again . . . but with a twist.

Today I’m the number one ranked player on court number one.

Yikes!

There are six courts, so if you do the math that means I’m sitting on top of 23 other guys . . . and yes, that does not sound right, but you know what I mean.

So what did I do differently last week to land me in this prestigious position this week?

Three things.

First, I had new strings in my old racket and that helped. Those old fifteen-year-old strings just weren’t cutting it anymore.

Second, I’ve been consistently going to tennis aerobics for weeks and working on all of my strokes. Repetition is one of the keys to tennis success - just ask Monica Sales.

Third, the use of drugs . . . namely Ibuprofen. Yup, when my body does not feel the aches and pains of old age I move much better on the court.

What all this did was add up to me moving much more quickly and smoking shots on court last week and coming out on top this week.

Hard to say what today will bring as I’m not nearly as consistent as I was twenty five years ago, but like Sampras said (paraphrased) before playing Raonic this past week, “I’ll do my best, but I’m not that young anymore.”

Well enough with the tennis.

I’ve been invited back into the hallowed halls of formal education to talk to kids about writing . . . and I’m feeling the guilt.

Oh, I’ve been dabbling lately, but nothing like the writing output of my past. Like I’ve mentioned before that my high-stress, high-irritation lifestyle has ended and the need to vent has greatly reduced my written output.

Still, I’ve had past success and still come up with a short story or two, and hence the invite.

I’ll be heading into a grade 8 class to read them one of my stories, then talk to them about what it’s like to wordsmith and try for publication.

Not sure of the exact timing on this one, but it should be fun. I’ll have to pick one of my less graphic horror stories to share, but I’m looking forward to it.

Well, that’s about it for this week. Time to pop some pills and get ready for the big match . . . well, big in my head anyhow.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment