Sunday, October 16, 2011

too old for this S___!

So, after playing two hours of singles tennis last Sunday I’m beginning to understand the phrase, “I’m getting too old for this shit!”

Waking up for four days afterwards in pain, unable to do the simplest thing, like bend more than two degrees without pain, really puts a cramp in your lifestyle.

No more singles for me, that’s a given.

The person I was playing was at least a decade younger than I, and he was complaining during the match of shoulder problems. I was getting tired to be sure, but on the court I wasn’t feeling particularly bad.

Of course the curse of old age, and perhaps a byproduct of it, is the aging brain apparently doesn’t know damage is being done to the aging body while the damage is actually happening. No, it’s only a day or two later that the body deteriorates to the point of pain and the old brain then must think back on what the hell could be the cause.

And the really rotten part of the deal is, unlike twenty years ago, when you develop a nagging ache or pain it sticks with you for f___’n weeks!

So, here I sit, one week after those two hours of hard single’s play, and I’m about seventy-five percent functional. I know, if I don’t push it, that I could be around eighty percent by next week.

Yes, middle/old age sucks the big kielbasa!

On the upside - yes, there is one - I finished and read my latest short story to our reading group last night. I was mostly happy with it and it did elicit some comments so must have been partially amusing to some.

My plan - I know, there is that four letter word I like to use here, again - is to have a new short story ready to read each reading group gathering instead of relying on my NaNoWriMo spewings from like five years ago.

Oh, I’ll finish reading my novel to the group just so they can have closure on the whole thing, but I’m keen on honing a bunch of new tales.

And yes, I am playing tennis again today. But it’s doubles which is literally half as much pain as singles, maybe even less than half.

Oh, and as a quick side note - my daughter did in fact have Scarlet Fever, the real deal. Thank goodness we live in a time where we are past the leeches stage and into modern antibiotics.

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what you're talking about. I swear that I am still as lithe and limber as my twenty-something year old self. All this excruciating pain I perceive now and again must surely be an illusion.

    ReplyDelete