Sunday, June 26, 2011

only hurting myself

It really pains me to write this, but . . . I won’t be playing tennis for a whole week.

Actually, it would pain me more to play without this break since I hurt my wrist . . . three weeks ago. I’ve been telling myself, every time I play, that the pain I’m feeling will go away. But hell, it just keeps hanging in there.

The one thing I really dislike about this getting older thing is the fact that I don’t recover from injury like I did in the good old days of my youth. Something like I’m suffering now would have been cured pretty much overnight. Now, it’s been almost a month and still there is aching and pain.

Middle age sucks!

Oh sure, I may be more wise, be more financially secure and all that crap, but boy do I wish I could have back my 20 year old frame to handle the physical demands of my world.

Alas, it is not to be. And with that realization I need to do things, horrible things, like take a week off smacking the yellow fuzzy around the court in the hopes that my minor ailment will pack its bags and get the hell gone.

A lot of the people I play tennis with are around the same age or older than I am - call it a slice of our current demographic - and they tell me the same thing, which I don’t want to hear. Get hurt, wait a good month, sometimes months, for the injury to sort itself out.

Sigh.

So today will not be a day of tennis, but a day of slaying, killing, and general delving into the destruction of evil instead. Oh, I mean D&D.

I’m running a campaign again. Our gaming group sort of stopped this silliness about two years ago, and I thought I would start it up again. And today is the kick off.

All I can say is the campaign I’m running is a manufactured one (meaning a bough module) that will take characters to level 10 where they will confront themselves in a cave . . . oh, wait, that’s Lucas . . . um, they will confront the ultimate evil and either vanquish it or die trying.

Good, clean, intellectual non-physical fun.

Oh, and on the trying to not hurt myself front I purchased a new lawn mower. It’s a corded type and it weighs about one tenth of my old rechargeable unit. My back rejoices at what my mind did for it.

And on the reading front I’m currently going through Albert Speer’s “Inside the Third Reich” and yes, it is fascinating. I seem to have this problem of not getting enough information on the reasons behind why German citizens threw out their collective brains in the 1930s and continued to do so right up until the mid 1940s. If you are interested in the inner thinking of Germany during that time Albert gives a pretty darn good look at it.

Well, I’ve rambled on enough and I don’t’ want to strain my wrist too much more.

Old age, can’t shoot it and . . . oh, wait . . . nevermind.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment