Sunday, June 19, 2011

daddy day

Seems to me I was supposed to have this relaxing Father’s Day which was to include getting a new BBQ since our old one died a couple of years ago.

But I forgot that today I’m playing tennis for two hours right smack dab in the middle of the day.

I love playing tennis, but this puts the thumbscrews on the family plans. I forgot to write my tennis activity on our activity calendar so the day looked completely free. My bad.

So, I’m going to be a busy boy today, and a tired one as well while my family tries to think of things to do for me while I’m not around.

Then, when I get back from the courts, my daughter is off in the late afternoon to a friend’s house to work on a school project.

And is it really true that humans will exceed the ten billion mark by 2100 . . . that’s just, well, a recipe for complete global meltdown. Just think of how many more dads there will be then, and how little food to go around.

But, that is a long way off and is a time I will never see unless medical science makes such incredible leaps as to allow me to live another 89 years . . .yeah, not gonna happen I think. At best, looking at the law of averages, I’ve got another 30 tops, 40 if I eat my greens and exercise and avoid bullets.

Even my daughter doesn’t stand good odds of seeing that date. And, hell, isn’t the world supposed to come to some kind of final close in 2012 according to the ancient Mayans anyhow?

I see you rolling your eyes along with me on that one. What is it with the human race always wanting to predict its ultimate demise?

And, technically, as of June 1st, I‘ve been away from cubicle hell for two full years now. I’m looking, feeling and smelling better than I ever have the past two decades plus. Best decision I ever made with regards to “what I want to be when I grow up”.

Either that, or I’m delusional, which may be the case. Still, at-home-dad suits me to a T, and my family agrees.

Last night we had an outdoor reading night. It was pretty damn neat, but I must confess my short story was not complete and I didn’t want to read the first part of it and then leave it hanging. I can tell you the title of it - “Pieces of Hate”.

I’ll say no more about it now except it is, yup, another creepy tale.

Well, seems this day includes many a thing to do and will be chopped up into incovenient time chuncks, so I best be getting at it. Being a dad is great, and I’m going to make the best of this, my day, and so should all you other fathers out there.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment