Sunday, May 01, 2011

dropped the ball

Reality is stranger, and certainly more realistic, than fiction . . . or self-delusion.

Seems being a tennis instructor is not in the cards. The hand I was dealt in this life is not applicable to that particular endeavour.

You see, I love to play tennis. Of all the sports I’ve tried (several dozen) I like nothing better than running around a tennis court and hitting the ball. Every other sport I’ve tried pales in comparison.

And you would think this love of the game would easily translate into teaching the sport - right?

I thought it would too. Really, I did.

But for the past two weeks I was all stabby and irritable and my family and I couldn’t come to grips with what was up with me. I’m not usually Mr. Happy all day, but this behaviour was unusual even for me.

I was in the dark as to why I was acting the way I was.

Until the first session of tennis instructor training . . . then the lights went on.

Teaching tennis is about .1% about the tennis, and 99.9% about managing a group of kids.

I’ve a love of those two activities in the exact opposite proportion to the reality of the situation, and I deluded myself big time into thinking otherwise.

So I came home, agonized about what to do, and then decided that getting all certified and ending up on the court with twenty kids was pretty much a sentence for ulcers, anger management issues and possible homicide investigations . . . okay, maybe not the last one, but I’m sure my inner fiction grinder would fantasize ways to off a few brats.

Now, I am not a kid hater by any means, nor would I ever intentionally harm one (or an adult for that matter) but managing a swarm of them would literally drive me over the edge of no return.

Bottom line - tennis instruction is all about managing hordes of kids . . . about the weakest character trait I possess . . . that is the reality.

And so, the search continues for a niche which fits my talents . . . and no, it will not be party clown . . .

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. Zilla's Other Half6:50 am

    Not everyone who wants to learn to play tennis is a kid. Is there no way to focus on older kids or adults? (not having a clue how these things are set up).

    ReplyDelete