Sunday, April 03, 2011

having balls

Seems like the older I get the more I realize that life really and truly is what you make of it.

It’s been two years and three days since I left cubicle hell, and I’ve enjoyed about every second of my life since leaving that soul-sucking environment.

I’ve read that to recover from burnout, which I had and that’s no joke, you need one month for every year you were working plus nine more months. For me, that would be a total of 29 months. It’s been 24, but the light has come back on at the end of the tunnel.

I shudder to think that if I had given in to peer, family and societal pressures I would still be in that high-paying dud of a job, squatting in my cubicle while my soul leeched away into oblivion. But I chose to make a new life and turned my back on corporate stupidity.

Absolutely the best thing I ever did!

The only other choice I made in my life that was a better one was marrying my wife.

Over the past two free years I’ve had a good while to contemplate my future and what I want to do with it. You see, I’m still a young man (in my mind anyhow) and the opportunities ahead of me are plenty.

So, I’ve spent the past two orbits around the sun away from corporate hell recovering while dabbling in music creation and writing . . . but I’m realizing that my true passion lies elsewhere . . .

Not that I’m going to just drop those activities, but I’m moving on to something I’ve always loved since the age of 13.

No, not girls . . . but a racket sport.

Tennis.

You see, in school I was one of those jocks. Volleyball team, indoor soccer, badminton and tennis. But mostly tennis. No other feeling during sports gives me more pleasure than a good solid smacking of a tennis ball.

So what did I do post high-school? Got my engineering degree . . . see the stupidity here? Actually after first year of Engineering, I applied to another university for Phys-Ed because they had a tennis team. I actually got accepted, was all keen to go . . . and had my parents talk me out of it over the summer break.

Now, not listening to your parents is almost a cliche which leads to bad things, right? Well, in this case, listening to them led to bad things . . . like twenty years of cubicle hell.

Still, I accept the way my life went, but I’m most excited right now because the choices I’m making are entirely my own without outside influence. Nothing else like it I can tell you.

Well, I’ve harped on enough, and all I can say is “things” are developing which I’m really excited about.

Oh, for one, I’ve joined an indoor tennis club and will now be playing year round, for starters.

More to follow in the weeks ahead . . . and yes, I’m playing tennis today and tomorrow. My future looks brighter than ever, and it’s all my doing.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment