Sunday, January 02, 2011

shiny new year

Well, I must say I’m damned disappointed.

I’ve waited almost two, no make that three, full decades to experience their arrival . . .

And not one damn peep out of them!

I speak of extraterrestrials, of course. What were you thinking . . . Inlaws . . . *shudder*

2010 was supposed to be the year when “they” arrived to reveal to us their intentions, or take over the world, or use death rays to reduce us to ashes . . . or something . . . anything.

I think even Nostradamus himself produced a quatrain about their impending visit;

In the year of twenty on ten,
Floating on air come skinny men,
Heads like eggs, and wicked keens,
Brandishing burning laser beams.

Okay, maybe it wasn’t Nostradamus . . . in fact I may have, um, made it up. Hey I’m a writer - what do you expect?

Anyhow, huge disappointment there.

But enough with the things I was expecting to happen in 2010 which did not. On to the things that did happen.

On the writing front I nailed a short story in December. It’s still under revision but it will be mailed out this month for sure.

And on the reading front, can you say I cracked the 20,000 pages mark for the third time ever, and actually read the most of any year since 1988 when I started keeping records . . .

. . . yes, you can. I know, keeping track of all my reading since 1988 likely makes me a freak, but didn’t you already know this?

So, my book total for the year 2010 was a solid 69 books read . . .

And I really wanted to create a new song and post it before the year was out but the learning curve, and the distractions from family fun, were too great for me to overcome and actually make something that you could listen to without vomiting.

Starting this month and for all the rest of the months in 2011, while I lament the aliens no-show in 2010, I’ll be producing one short story and one electronica tune. I’m hoping the short stories end up in print and the tunes end up in your media player . . .

Oh, and I’ll continue reading like a fiend so I can crack the 20,000 pages mark again.

It’s a tough goal, but somebody has to attempt it to try and inspire others.

And for that one special reader who is soon to be a mom for the first time - good on you! I’m so happy for you and your hubby!

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Paul! Heh heh, I've never been called out in a blog before. :-) I look forward to reading that short story soon!

    ReplyDelete