Sunday, October 10, 2010

turkey shorts

Seemed like the right blog post heading for today since, here in Canada, it’s time to gorge ourselves on turkey and stuffing once again.

Yes, I will be eating too much of it, but it’s only once a year . . . okay, twice for me since we celebrated it early with friends last weekend too and will be doing so once again today with relatives . . .

Anyhow, as I was walking to the bank (no, not to rob it, though the idea did cross my mind) I was struck by a lightening solution to the short story I’m currently working. Okay, maybe lightening is a bit of an exaggeration. It was more like when you wear a wool sweater and drag your socked feet across the carpet and then touch a doorknob . . . you get the idea.

So there I was working out some of the plot in my head, strolling along the sidewalk, and suddenly the solution popped right into my skull. If it wasn’t daylight you may have been able to see the lightbulb flash over my head . . .

Yeah, I was that excited about it. I am, by nature, a short story artist at heart. I’ve written so many of them (like over a hundred so far) and really love when a good one comes along. I think I’ve mentioned it before but the novel is like a huge slog-fest for me that never seems to end. Yes, I’m still plugging away at mine, but I’m more excited about this current short story for the moment and so . . .

And, once I properly polish it and then read it for our reading group for feedback, I’m going to try and get it published. I go through these bouts of sending my stuff out like crazy for about a year and then end up running out of steam and eventually stop. I know, Heinlein would not be impressed. It’s a lot of work to keep your stuff in circulation and let’s face it, once a story gets rejected many a time you do start to wonder about it.

Still, three published so far and that was really only from two bouts of sending out. Time for me to start a third round. No time like the present.

As for auctions, well, last night I picked up a wall clock for 5 bucks . . . It works too . . . most of the time. I may have to take it in and get it cleaned and oiled or something, but it looks cool, sounds cool and even chimes on the half hour and at the hour with the appropriate number of chimes.

Yes, I get excited over the little things.

Well, there is a story to polish, and books to read, and family to consider, and cooking to do . . . but the damn lawn is cut for the last time for 2010 . . . see, it really is the little things that make me smile.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment