Sunday, September 19, 2010

approaching the fall

Well, I’ve tried to kick my own butt several times this month, but I’m just not that flexible.

Seems I should be doing something called writing, but every time I sit down to try I, well, don’t.

I’m giving my rebelling muse until the autumnal equinox to smarten up, then it’s going to be toothpicks under its fingernails and flaming alcohol applied to its back . . .

Somehow the vacation I took at the end of August has slid far into September. The inspiration to write has sort of left me for the moment. I still have a hundred story ideas floating around my skull, but they are trapped there in limbo for the moment.

I suspect a day will come soon when the dam bursts and I spill out ten short stories in a couple of days . . . but for immediate now it’s just not happening.

I think there have been a few changes recently in my life which have caused me to get sidetracked. My wife has started a new job and my little girl is walking to school on her own and back and my parents visited for a week and I’ve started attending the odd auction to find cool old goods - all of this has made writing take a back seat.

Bad, very bad. But this week I did scoop a great manual coffee grinder . . .

I know, I should just buckle down and write every day, like Trollope instructs us writers to do from the grave.

I need to figure out how to reset the habit button, and unstick the snooze one, on my inner clock . . .

Never fear, I will get this thing sorted and my inner writer will get back on track soon.

And I do know that all this doing it stuff comes from the inner you. Nobody can make you do anything. The choice to do something comes from inside. Others can inspire, cajole, prod and poke, but never can they do it for you.

So I’ll keep that in mind as the sands pass through the hourglass and the time of the fall approaches.

The leaves are changing colour around here.

Change is inevitable.

Until next Sunday . . .

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! It's funny how good habits are so hard to form, yet so easy to break. On the other hand, bad habits stick around forever.

    I'll try writing every day too, and see if it sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is the key . . .

    I'm starting up again on Sept 22 - the first day of Fall.

    And I'm going to try really hard not to stop again.

    :)

    ReplyDelete