Sunday, July 04, 2010

month in month out

I figure, with the USA blasting their country to smithereens with firework displays today, it’s about time I gave a review and celebrate what I managed to accomplish in the month of June with regards to my writing.

Don’t expect fireworks though.

Maybe a fizzle, or two . . . or, most likely, a deafening silence.

Now, as you may or may not know, I endeavor to work at my writing every single day. I have two distinct writing sessions scheduled for each and every day, including weekends and holidays with the rare exception of my birthday which I do take completely off. This is background information to understand the number I’m going to post.

So, to keep track of how successful (in my mind) I was at keeping on task (grade school lingo) I have devised a quick and ugly formula to indicate how I did.

I simply take the number of sessions I actually managed to write and divide it by the number of sessions I was scheduled to write . . . and voila!

My number for June was . . . 69%.

Yeah, not exactly 100%, now is it?

What this means is of all the sessions I planned on doing, I managed to actually work only 69% of them . . . which means other things took the place of my writing the other 31% of the time.

I could come up with several excuses, but I’m not going to bore you with them.

Let’s just say that for July I’m at 100%, and hope (key word here) to stay at 100% for the month.

How I do for July will be revealed the first post in August.

Again, with the no fireworks.

In closing (don’t you like to know this is over?) I will say my reading is way, way ahead of schedule. I’ve just finished chapter 8 of 18 (may grow to more chapters yet) on my novel's third draft and I have one short story in revision soon to find a home at some lucky publisher . . .

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a comment