Sunday, June 20, 2010

day of the dad

It only happens once a year . . .

. . . no, not Christmas, or an 8.4 Richter scale quake, or some generous Bunny hiding chocolates . . .

I talk of Father’s Day.

And it’s here again.

Yes, I am a Father.

How do I like it?

Well, there is nothing like it in this world. It’s both the most rewarding experience of my life and also has created the most stressful situations in my life.

Both, extremely good for me as a writer, I’m sure.

Having a child forces you live life in a different way, a much less self-oriented way. I’m not arguing for, or against, having kids today here at the Emporium. I’m only saying the experience, for me, has been, and continues to be, absolutely fantastic.

There is something amazing watching your own child emerge from the womb, learn to crawl, laugh, talk . . . then talk back . . .

It’s all wonderful, trust me . . . well, maybe not so much the talking back part, but pretty much everything else. Still, the talking back part is only this little person you helped create coming into their own, gaining confidence, developing into the soon-to-be-adult they are meant to be and not necessarily the person you, as Dad, want them to be.

I always try to remember that for my daughter I’m coach, self-esteem promoter, helper, guide, disciplinarian, and most of all, unconditional love giver . . . In other words, Dad.

I wouldn’t change a single thing.

So, happy Father’s Day to all those men out there who have children.

I hope you have a good one . . . day that is, not child . . .

*shutting up now before I offend*

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment