Sunday, May 02, 2010

dogs and rain

Now, I absolutely hate mowing the lawn, but this lack of spring rain is getting a bit silly.

Our lawn resembles a checkerboard of brown and green hard tack. The green is clover - how I love clover.

If you have ever read anything here at the Twisted Mind before about me and the great outdoors, then you know my love of clover and my hatred of damnable grass.

Nuff said.

So, the past two weeks or so we have been looking into getting a four-legged pet for the house. No, not a cat. I may be a writer, but I don’t want a cat. My allergies can’t suffer one of those.

And, after having had four rats already - been there, done that. We were all allergic to them too.

Next on the list. No, not a pig, goat or lama - all of them would be cool, but not very practical.

So, it’s going to be a dog then.

We are looking into several of the local shelter programs and really like one in particular. It’s called TAGS (forget what it means) and looks really good. How it works is rescued dogs spend time at a foster home first, so the foster parents get a good idea how the pet is.

Does it eat furniture, attack men on sight, play with kids, pee on the floor, steal the car and go for joy rides? - you get the picture.

Very good information to know when you want to bring a four-legged friend into your own home. There is an application process because they don’t want goombas getting dogs and then abusing them. We will have an interview soon to see if we are goombas . . . I don’t think we are, but I’m looking at things from inside the asylum, so who knows.

If we pass the goomba test, we can meet a dog we like in the park for an hour to see if we get along. If that works they come for a home visit for a few hours to see how that works. It that’s a go, then the dog comes and stays for 3 to 5 days. If that works out we can adopt. If the process breaks down at any point, the dog goes back to foster parents and hopes for owners who are less like goombas in his eyes.

Don’t know how long it will be before we get a canine of our own because we are being particular. We only want smallish dogs (15-35 lbs) that aren’t prone to causing allergies. Oh, and no Chihuahuas or poodles - so we are pretty limited to certain types of terrier.

I hope this is not a recipe for future disaster. If it works out, then at least I won’t be at home all day writing alone - I’ll have a hair ball to keep me company and help edit my works.

Until next Sunday . . .

3 comments:

  1. Zilla's Other Half5:14 pm

    Except poodles or poodle crosses are your guaranteed non-allergin dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIrst off, there are no true non-allergy causing dogs - just degrees of allergy causing dogs.

    With that said many of the Terrier breeds tend not to cause severe allergies. As to poodles - I just don't like them, period.

    And we just keep watching the postings to see which stray dogs show up and hope one of the breeds we are looking for makes the list.

    Could be a long wait though - but I'm a patient man . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 2 Miniature Schnauzers, they are great dogs. They are supposedly good for allergy sufferers too. :-)

    ReplyDelete