Sunday, April 25, 2010

retreat

No, not me - I’m still deep in the trenches duking it out with my muse and distractions.

Actually it’s my wife - she is off for the weekend leaving myself and my daughter to our own devices.

Call it a Daddy-Daughter weekend extravaganza. And yes, so far it’s been grand.

We spent Friday night ordering take-out pizza with fresh garlic, pineapple, ham, red onion and green peppers. Yeah, I do have one of those kids that eats pretty much anything.

Either that or she starves - guess that long term strategy paid off!

We went out and got a movie to watch as well. Don’t remember what it was called (one of them young girl things) but it starred Alyson Stoner - who, by the way, looks uncannily like Alyson Hannigan used to. Guess the human gene pool is only so big.

Slept in Saturday morning and then we played a couple rounds of Carcassonne. I won both games, but there was no tears. My daughter is not like that - she just likes to play, I hope. Wouldn’t want this to scare her for life - kidding, I hope.

Then, to top up the our bellies with more nutritious treats we went to Mr. Sub, for, you guessed it - Subs.

Next stop, the dollar store so my daughter could pick up a new notebook to record her daily thougths - I just use my mind for that - of course after a few days go by, I have no recollection of what took place - still, that method works for me.

Then, her friend called her and came over for some Daughter-Daughter’s Friend fun. They are pretty much two peas in a pod. - same age, same temperament, same body shape, same zany sense of humour. Both are rough and tumble and silly.

They had a great time since I took them to the candy store where I let them load up on sugar treats. Man, but I don’t recall that much Diabetes inducing selection when I was a kid. I do remember Poppie cigarettes though with paper wrapping and powdered flour on the inside so you could simulate real smoke with them. Guess those are no more - sends a bad message - but they were way cool. Double Bubble was a penny a piece back then too and had a cartoon strip in it.

Now I feel old.

Anyhow, after the sugar kicked in I took them to the park by the lake for two hours - ran there energy tanks down to about half.

I made them spaghetti for supper. They played outside afterwards and then it was time for her friend to go home.

Once my daughter and I were alone again we played a computer game for a bit.

Then it got late and bedtime beckoned.

This morning we had waffles and are hanging around together waiting for her mother (my wife) to come home.

Damn it was a fun time - I’m sure when she is a teenager (which will be too damn soon I’m afraid) weekends like this will no longer take place. She will be out with her cool friends and I’ll be left at home to wash laundry and scrub toilets.

Anyhow, I hope this weekend was as much fun for her as it was for me - only time will tell. Maybe she will recall our times together fondly when she gets to be my age.

Well, even if she can't remember, she can always consult her daily journal.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment