Monday, April 05, 2010

pause for the bunny

I’ve decided that the weather and my family outweigh the need for me to crank away on my novel for the next couple days.

I know - I’m a slacker and “real” writers don’t do such things. I recall reading about Asimov on a cruise ship once spending his entire “vacation” in the cabin typing away . . . Sorry, much as I like to write and create fiction, I’m just not that sort of obsessive about it. I do intend to keep steadily at it, but not at the exclusion of everything else in my life.

And sometimes I think it’s healthy to relax and enjoy your life, family and friends and temporarily set the work aside. I mean if you can’t do that what is the point of working so hard in the first place?

This mini-break comes at a good time. I’ve just completed the third draft of my second of sixteen chapters Friday. It was a good Friday . . .

And there is much excitement in the house this morning as the Easter Bunny paid our daughter a visit. She is scrambling around the house following clues to find out just what the Bunny has left behind for her. I mean write, or watch this family event unfolding in real time? No contest.

Sorry, not locking myself in the cabin with a typewriter today.

I can talk about the writing though and the fact that I’ve added about 2,000 words per each chapter so far. If I keep this up through to the end my third draft will be around 104,000, a hair above the ideal (in my mind) novel length.

That length can easily be revised down to somewhere between 90,000 and 100,000 after that for the forth draft. I’m hoping the fifth draft will pretty much be it and then it is off to submission land. I planning for a late fall submission schedule, then on to my next novel creation.

Which brings me to the length of time this whole process is all taking. Would you believe I’ve been out of the cubicle for 363 days - that’s right - almost a whole year.

Mind you, the first several months were spent detoxing from cubicle hell, and I’ve been easing into my new career at a slow and gradual build-up ever since, but I feel this year things are accelerating and will continue to do so in future.

So, with all that said, look for my published works to start hitting the shelves (or the fan?) sometime in the 2011 - 2012 time frame.

Well, I can smell chocolate being unearthed - and I want me some!

Until next Sunday . . .

2 comments:

  1. Heh so what do you think of the length of the Late Robert Jordan's books? ;-)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refer to it as "The Neverending Bory"

    I want authors to "end it" one way or another, not keep stringing the story along indefinitely. But, I'm sure, publishers want just the opposite to keep milking the cow.

    I hope I never get sucked into doing that with my work - of course, if offered enough cash . . .

    ReplyDelete