Sunday, April 18, 2010

into the fire

Been reading way too much on how-to-write.

Now it’s time to stop that diversionary tactic and start getting the job done.

Just over a year ago I tossed in the cube-squatting, mind-numbing job to pursue a career of fiction writing.

And yes, I have been writing quite a lot.

But that alone does not and income make.

For an actual income you need to have your current written works circulating and selling and always be working on producing more - and I’ve none at the moment in that cycle - not good, not good at all.

And I’ll take a moment here to bitch a wee bit about the new boss - he’s a bit too wimpy and not nearly the slave driver I thought he would be. It’s time he smartened up, strapped on those Kodiak steel-toed boots and gave my rear a good hard thumping.

It’s what I expect from him starting - right now!

I’ve been spending the better part of a year revising and rewriting my novel, which is coming along, albeit slowly, but should it find a publisher (he said with hope) it will still likely be a year or more before it sells let alone shows up in a printed form you can buy at the bookstore.

What I’m trying to say is, I think I’ve missed writing short stories and sending them out for publication. It’s been like forever since I’ve seen my short work in print - and I’m hoping to start seeing it again soon.

I have told myself this past while (likely as a subconscious excuse) that I can’t write short stories and novels at the same time.

What a crock of crap with a cherry on top!

Professionals do it all the time, and I’m supposed to be one of those now, aren’t I?

Now, don’t get me wrong, this does not mean my novel will grind to a halt while I crank out new short fiction. It means I’ll be spending even more time writing (sorry house keeping) with short story production getting some much needed attention on top of the hours I already spend revising my novel.

So enough brooding and sniveling and avoiding - it’s time to start my engines and get those short works written and in circulation again. Nothing is more exciting than getting that SASE back with an acceptance - well almost nothing.

So it’s ass in chair, flying fingers and word production like there is no tomorrow because, well, without any new writing in circulation, I can’t rightly call myself a full-time writer, now can I.

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. Zilla's Other Half3:13 pm

    I took almost a year to decompress after getting out of the rat race. The fact that you tackled a new novel and revisions in that time are pretty good. You have the right motivation and a goodly amount of talent - it'll all come round...

    ReplyDelete