Sunday, March 28, 2010

the secretions of success

What are they?

Why, blood, sweat and tears, of course.

Just ask any “successful” person how they got where they are, and likely as not they will tell you it was because of an inordinate amount of bleeding, sweating and tears along the way - but they all got there in the end because they never gave up even after all that secreting.

But even when you think you arrive at the endpoint, you realize that the journey is never over, that the learning begins anew each and every day.

Those are the secretions of success.

But you already knew that, didn’t you?

When I was much younger, and quite naive, I really thought talent accounted for so very much, never truly understanding, until much later in life, that talent is but a small part of achieving ultimate success - quite small in fact.

It’s the phenomena, call it teen know-it-all-ism, which had me hearing the words of experienced elders, but not registering them because, well, I knew it all back then, didn’t I.

If we would only listen to our elders when we are young we could save so much pain and suffering later on.

But what would be the fun in that?

So, end of lectures - if you’re young you are paying it no attention, and if you’re old you already know it.

Anyhow, I’ve been reading like a fiend this year and so am increasing my target number of pages/year from 12,000 to 20,000. Yup, 20,000. And the way I’ve been going I should reach it, no sweat.

And the third draft of my novel is coming along. I’ve added almost 3,000 words so far - and that’s only in the first chapter. I need a grand total of 8,000 - 28,000 new words added to make it a true-novel-length work, and it looks like that will also be, no sweat.

I’m sounding all contradictory aren’t I with my “no sweat” remarks. Truth is, there has been much sweating going on the past few weeks to achieve those extra words, and it’s far from over. But I’m feeling much better about the whole project now that I’m getting through the third draft.

And as I approach my one year anniversary of cube-squatting release, I can say I made the right choice, but a very hard one.

And now, if I’m to succeed in my new career, I best get back to the bleeding, sweating and shedding of more tears.

Until next Sunday . . .

2 comments:

  1. Zilla's Other Half1:48 pm

    I just can't think in word count terms with regards to what I read. Because I tend to read at least as much, if not more, non-fiction now than fiction, I don't know that I could translate what I read into any type of word count. In fact I don't really count the books either. I'd just be glad to catch up on my 'to be read' list such that I'm no longer 5 and a half years behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant pages, not words . . . sheesh!

    So that's 20,000 pages/year (fixed in post now) NOT words.

    ReplyDelete