Sunday, January 31, 2010

chasing air

That’s what writing is like. You see, air is elusive, unseen, all around us, at times hostile, at other times gentle, but vital to existence for the ingredients it carries.

And I thought ‘chasing air’ sounds a lot like ‘ass in chair’, which is also what writing is all about.

So as an update for the month I’ll let you know the final chapter of my second novel is so close to being finished in second draft as to be finished - but not quite. It’s been taking me a damn long time to conclude my novel because what I was working with was more a sketchy outline than a written first draft. Plus, I don’t want the ending to suck, you know, too hard. I’m really hoping to pummel it into shape by next week’s update.

On the short story front, I’m about three quarters or the way through my second story of thirteen related stories. Looking at it now, I’m thinking it’s a bit like Fritz Leiber’s ‘Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser’ series - but dealing with only a single super hero, modern setting, no magic . . . Okay, not like his series at all - but the stories are connected though.

Yes, I’ve been chasing a lot of air this month.

And speaking of this month, my lovely wife and I celebrated out 21st wedding anniversary. Yeah, a whole 21 years already. Just wow, and I wonder what we will do when we are both 90?

Also, it’s been almost a year since I left the cube - I can’t really express in any meaningful words how right that feels. Let me just say I don’t miss it for one second.

In related good news I checked with the bank, looked at my accumulated funds to date, and found out that I can retrieve a tidy sum from the pile every year until I reach 90 years old - by which time I will either be a rich author, a senile drooling street vagabond, or fertilizer in the local cemetery - I think I’ll choose door number one!

In non-related news, I haven’t seen Avatar yet . . . you know, the movie . . .

Yes, I am the one.

I can’t seem to drag myself to the theater to see it. Don’t care, really. And the more hype I hear about it, the less inclined I am to crawl out from under my rock and make the effort. Maybe it’s because I didn’t like Titanic much. Maybe I’m an inherently lazy slug. Maybe I don’t like the colour blue. Whatever the reason, I’d rather read.

Which I’ve also been doing a ton of this past month. Right now though I am slogging through “The Bourne Identity” - and I mean slogging. In fact, I actually call it “The Boring Identity” because this character holds zero interest for me. Why, I don’t really know. I think it may be because he is a ruthless jerk always whining in his mind about memories, blah, blah, blah. One bullet from Carlos and it would thankfully end . . . but I think the Ludlum has a different ending in mind . . .

But I digress. I will finish it, though it is unlikely I’ll read the second one, “The Boring Supremacy”.

Well I should wrap it up as the page is full and let you, the humble reader, get on to other sites. And I could be reading my stats all wrong, but it seems to me I’ve been hitting as many as one hundred plus views of my blog in any given day.

Must be my imagination.

Speaking of which - I’m off again, chasing air.

Until next Sunday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment