Monday, October 05, 2009

is it monday already

Yup, you could say I blew it.

My weekly blog post for ‘Sunday’ is a day late . . .

No real excuse, except I was waiting for the Saturday Scribes writing prompt. Then I was going to slap up another flash fiction piece here for your amusement . . .

. . . alas, no prompt appeared, so you’ll get the standard post then - except it’s one day late.

So, what’s been going on?

Well, had the furnace guy over and it looks like between the government, and the company doing the selling, I’ll be getting about 1,400 back. But we need one of those energy audits, which costs like 350, and the another 150 when they return to see if you improved anything, so - doing the math - I will ultimately get about 900 bucks off of the total purchase.

I’m getting one of those high efficiency jobs with a variable speed DC motor (costs 1000 more, but we’ll be making it up with the rebates) to save on gas costs and electricity. Seems that overall we will be saving about 50 bucks a month with this fancy combo. Sounds good to me as saving is the buzzword these days around our house with our limited income.

On the writing front (that horrible trench warfare with plenty of gas and noise - hey, I write alone) I’m making steady, if slow, progress on completing my second draft of Typhoon Rising. Why the slowdown is because the last chapter spawned into two chapters and I’ve actually had to insert new sections and rearrange what was left. No easy task and what I raced through at the end is, well, not all that good. It’s more an outline than a 1st draft.

I did start another short story though, the one I want to have ready for the competition come Nov 1st. Not sure I’ll make it. You would be surprised how long it takes to polish a short story worthy of making the grade.

As for NaNoWriMo - I’m still on the fence with this one. I should do it, but I’m not sure I can fit it in. Leaning towards a yes to get my third novel in at least 1st draft phase. I’ll let you know if it happens.

And Fluffy the rat is doing very well these days. Whatever ailment he had is completely cured and he is his old begging-for-treats self.

Well, much writing to do plus all the other stuff that gets in the way.

Until next Sunday . . .

3 comments:

  1. Zilla's Other Half9:16 am

    You do get 150 back of that first 300 - the province is pretty quick about that. If you do it though, take the opportunity to do as much other stuff as well - new low flush toilets, caulk all windows, eves, etc, add sealant to doors etc. The auditor will give you an idea how good/bad your house is at the start and have some ideas where you can improve. The more change you make, beginning to end, will determine the % you get back on the amount you spent. Keep all receipts. You can use them for 3 different tax breaks - the audit gives you 18 months from the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry 'bout the prompts, couldn't get online while in Ottawa. They're up now!

    As for NaNoWriMo, I was thinking maybe we could set some mini-WriMo's for those members of the gang who won't be able to commit to the whole 50k. That way we can still get together and egg each other on (towards, perhaps, a little more writing than might otherwise get done in a month), but no one has to feel stressed about taking on a goal they know they won't be able to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and yeah, we just got a new furnace too, super high efficiency and all that. One word of warning, apparently they grease up the metal of the new ones more than they used to, so plan on putting the heat on with all windows open (wasteful, I know), for about an hour or so after it's installed. Otherwise your house will smell pretty god-awful as all the oil gets burned off.

    ReplyDelete