Sunday, September 13, 2009

events two

Sunday already?

Wow, how the time flies during the week when you are not commuting and squatting in cubicles . . .

. . . been pretty busy this week actually on re-writes of chapter 13 of my novel. It’s surprisingly slow going - but I’m getting there, however tedious and painful the process.

Two events took place during this week, and I feel the need to relate them - oh, and to have something to post here, of course.

Event one was our regular monthly reading night. I read chapter 8 of my second draft, and it was received well. I have some sequencing issues with the story at this point, and reading it aloud to the group helps immensely in getting it all sorted. It seems I can get the group somewhat emotionally attached to minor characters and then rip their hearts out to good effect. Maybe a little Joss has rubbed off on my work . . . Anyhow, I thank the group for their input - it will make all the difference in the end when it’s in published novel form at your local bookstore (he says using “the secret” to make it so . . .) Yes, my permanent state of being is tongue-in-cheek, which makes eating and talking a challenge, but I manage somehow.

Event, the second, was going to a friend’s wedding. She is one of the nicest people I know and I was happy that my wife and I were invited to share in her day. I met her about 15 years ago, at my old workplace when she was working there as a coop student, and found out that she was a fellow writer. One thing lead to another and I asked her if she would like to come and participate in our reading nights. To our group’s delight, she did come out all those years ago and has become an occasional member and friend to us all ever since.

Now, if you know me in person, then you know I don’t make friends easily. But I’m glad I overcame my aversion to allowing new people into my life in her case. Her stories are funny, she is always smiling, her outlook is continuously sunny and she is a great addition to our ancient coven - our reading group has been together, I’m thinking about 23 years now . . .

And not only am I working on my novel, but I’ve had two really cool story ideas that need writing. One will be for a contest which is due by the end of October, and the other will be an attempt to get back into the short story publishing business again - it’s been far too long since a short story of mine has appeared in print. I would like that to change in the near future. It would be nice to go into those high schools for talks (gee, coming up in the months ahead) and show them exhibit A - a current published short story!

Well, I’m sure I will have more exciting news to relate next Sunday, so I’ll step off the box now and get another coffee before diving into more novel re-writes.

Until next Sunday . . .

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found the input regarding your novel helpful. Like I said earlier, I think that it would dramatically increase the story tension if you move the warbot battle scene so that it happens before the MC leaves the base. You could possibly even move it to before Friend arms the timer in the basement.

    By the way, great story: I can't wait to hear the next installment.

    ReplyDelete