Monday, August 24, 2009

some fluff some facts

Day 361 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I’ve been on my own for the past eight days, and although it’s been nice and quiet, it’s also been kind of desolate.

So I look forward to the return of the girls today and all the noise and mess they bring with them.

As social animals, I’m not sure it’s a good thing to be on one’s own for an indefinite length of time. I think, in the long run, that would lead to madness.

And now, thinking about that, I feel sorry for our lone surviving rat, Fluffy. He’s been on his own, with our family of homo sapiens talking to him and giving him treats for a couple of months now. I’m sure he is coping, but I can see the look of loneliness in his beady little rat eyes. He pines for another of his kind, I know it.

Compassion.

I wonder if humans are the only ones to possess it? How egotistical for us to think so.

Did you know Elephants, not humans, have the largest brains of any land animal?

And did you also know that mole rats are mammals, but they are cold-blooded, proving that the saying ‘all mammals are warm-blooded” is utterly false.

See, and you came here today expecting to learn nothing new.

You just never know what you might find once you apply the proper leverage to that rock.

I’ll leave you with a saying my old shop teacher used to say, advice if you like, but it stuck with me all these years.

“Never push or pull indiscriminately on a wrench”.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment