Wednesday, August 26, 2009

school days approach

Day 363 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

At this time of year, end of August, I start hearing on the radio that catchy jingle “it’s the most wonderful time of the year” - meant for Christmas, twisted to mean it’s such a joy for parents to have the kids getting back to school.

Kids do need structure and something to do, but getting them up in the morning and off to school is no easy task.

We have the wardrobe bought for our daughter already so that is good. She has a new backpack - what is up with this anyhow? Back when I was at school nobody had a damn backpack, now it’s a requirement. Silly. Oh, and she has a new lunch bag because last year’s lunch bag is almost destroyed, not to mention ripe.

While the weather holds I’ll be walking her to school and back, which gets me out of the house and doing some exercising - a good thing for the writer hunching over a keyboard for long periods each day.

With my wife starting work (today, actually she begins with an orientation day) I’ll be taking on the main cello lesson driver position for my daughter. I’ve already been brought up to speed on what it is I need to do. Today will be the first go.

And it’s a little hard to believe and entire year has almost gone by since I started this crazy marathon.

Only two more of these posts to go and then I can celebrate - which I already did in anticipation of completion by ordering Science News for myself.

Summer holidays are great for family activities, but hell for the writer. I look forward to things getting back to a sort of routine for my daughter and wife so I can get back to finishing up my current novel and starting on the next one.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment