Monday, August 03, 2009

not that big really

Day 340 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Of what do I speak?

Well, the new LCD TV, of course.

It’s only a 32 inch Widescreen. I see you shaking your head and wondering why I would get something so tiny when clearly I need something in the 60 inch range.

Fact - I’m only about 8 feet from the TV while viewing it, and watching the last few days (after my writing is all done mind you) I’ve found 32 inches to be quite adequate. In fact, when we first watched a show, upon bringing it home and setting it up, we actually thought it looked a bit too big for our space.

So, to have gotten something in the 40 inch + range would have been downright silly. The unit I got has a built in progressive scan DVD player as well and the TV itself will display up to 1080i signal (should Blue Ray become the norm in the years ahead and I actually buy a player), but usually converts whatever you stick into it to either 480p or 720p.

Am I happy with it?

This is the question my wife asks me several times a day.

Um, yeah - very happy, thank you.

And the price was so low, with a full 1 year parts and labour warranty, that I couldn’t pass it up. How low you ask?

Well, let me just say that I spent a little over half of what I paid for our old 20 inch Sony many, many years ago.

Incredible how electronics have fallen in price so much over the years. Now, if gas prices would do the same . . .

Anyhow, now I get to watch all those movies and widescreen TV shows I have on something that doesn’t make me squint and pause the program to try and make out fine details.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment