Friday, August 14, 2009

hot peppers one

Day 351 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

As the weather is nice, and the camera is working, and I can transfer images to my blog - here is a picture of the Jalapeno peppers I’m growing beside the house.



As you can see they are flowering up nicely, but the season is slow this year because we have not had boiling, hot temperatures so far - not that I’m complaining, but if peppers could give voice mine would have been yelling at me to bring them hot cocoa and sweaters this past few weeks.

Anyhow, once these plants start producing peppers they spew them out like crazy and you end up liking them a lot - or giving then away to friends.

Me, I like to just cut them in rings and eat them with cheese and crackers . . .

. . . or put them in sauces and stir-fries of any kind - or even eat them raw . . .

. . . Which reminds me of a true story from last year.

Early in the Jalapeno season 2008, I picked a small Jalapeno pepper and took a tentative nibble of it. It was actually sweet and not at all hot. So, I promptly chomped the whole thing down.

A few days latter I picked a slightly bigger one - and made a very bad assumption. I assumed it would be mild like its sister pepper.

Fail!

I chomped the pepper in half and began to chew - a moment later, as the whole mass was crushed up in my mouth, I realized my near-fatal error. This pepper was so damn hot I nearly threw up. This was the closest to swooning in agony I’ve ever come. Thankfully the water hose is right beside where I grow these peppers and I was able to flush my mouth out before passing out from the pain.

Moral of this pepper tale - don’t chomp before you nibble . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment