Tuesday, August 11, 2009

game purging

Day 348 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

It’s going to be a lot harder than I thought - dumping all those old computer games I’ve accumulated over the years.

As you can imagine, I’ve got a lot of old games for Win 95/98. And the funny thing is I still like almost all of them.

I was going to pitch them out and keep the cases for those DVD sets I have where the inner tabs break off and leave the discs poorly held or not held at all. Some of my Buffy sets are like that.

But, as I looked over my collection with that intent, I found a lot of stuff (like most of it) that I don’t want to part with. Command and Conquer, Birth of the Federation, Master of Orion 2, Diablo and Diablo 2 are just a few that come to mind.

I know I should just get rid of them all and be done with it. I have a bunch on new games, like Fallout 3, which thoroughly entertain me during my free moments with the family away and the writing all done for the day.

But I find I can’t.

Funny how you can collect so much stuff, not use it for years, but when the time comes to part with it we manage to convince ourselves that we will use it again and so hang onto it.

And, to top it all off, it’s even harder to part with those old games because I have an old Win 98SE machine to play all of them on - - so pitching them out begins to render my backup machine obsolete - well, it can be used for my writing too if this one blows up.

Silly really to leave all this cleanup to my offspring - so, I’m going to just make myself do it before the next decade pass and I accumulate even more.

Until tomorrow . . .

1 comment:

  1. Eugene9:18 am

    The way I see it is that all we accumulate becomes a part of who we are. I cant bear to part with a lot of things. I'd feel..."less" for not having it.

    Look at it as great stuff for your biographer to use as insights into a great write when they put it in your biography later on.

    Wouldnt be much to say if they come into your room and find a dusty desk with a few measly items on it. ;-)

    *And no, I dont have a house that looks like this :-) http://www.anxietyandstress.com/imglib/hoarding2.jpg*

    ReplyDelete