Friday, August 07, 2009

all in a row

Day 344 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Since I’m in the midst of fence construction, I thought I would give you a couple of pictures so you, the humble reader, can see how the project is proceeding.

The shot below is looking along the line of posts that we (my good friend and I) put up yesterday.



It was nice to find that the ground was not strew with rocks and rubble and so digging the post holes was not a hardship. My friend had some horror tales of doing this kind of thing in other locations - I’m glad my place will not be included in his horror list with regards to that.

It took us about three hours to complete what you see. The back of my yard spans only 46 feet, and we will be using my neighbours existing chain link post (which you can’t see because it is behind this shot) to fix the other end so we only need to dig 5 holes.

Next, as seen in the shot here, we mixed up some ready concrete stuff (which always blew dust at us every bag we opened).



Each hole is about two and a half mill . . . er, feet deep. Gawd how Douglas Adams (GRHS) has influenced my mind . . . Anyhow, each hole has around 100 pounds of concrete in it so the posts should not be falling over anytime soon.

The only fear is frost which may heave the posts if we have a crappy cold winter. But, in our neighbourhood (which we’ve been in eight years now) I’ve not seen a lot of leaning 4 foot chain link fences and so the likelihood of it heaving is very small.

Today we will be putting up the chain part and I’m sure you will see the finished product in a picture here tomorrow.

Now, I need to really finish my Morley Fenn short story for tomorrow night.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment