Tuesday, August 18, 2009

3 days

Day 355 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

until one of my short stories comes up on another’s site - per request.

How did this happen?

Well, once you announce to the world that you are a writer, sometimes a few of those around you hear what you say and ask questions, or request product.

It’s the same way I got the gig to go into high school and talk to young adults about the art and pain of trying to be a published writer.

It was Twitter actually what got me the request.

Somebody liked what I tweeted, checked out this blogsite, liked what they read - and then asked if I would participate in their author site with a sample of my writing.

Connections.

Every artist needs them - as well as circuit boards, unless you write longhand . . .

Oops, slipped into the cryptic again . . .

Anyhow, I’m not going to go so far as to have business cards made up, or wear t-shirts that announce my profession, but I’m going to answer truthfully when people ask me what I do from now on.

And there is this mytique about being a writer and damn few people understand what it’s like to be one or how anybody could be one, etc.

Truth is, it’s just damn hard work, and it takes a long time to produce worthy product and generally longer to convince others to publish what you wrote.

If you worked out the pay scale in dollars per hours, I’m pretty certain it would work out to be more like pennies per hour - at least for the first few years or longer.

Still, it sure beats the hell out of commuting and cube squatting - beats the living hell out of it in fact.

Until tomorrow . . .

2 comments:

  1. Zilla's Other Half9:00 am

    So you'll be sending us the link to this mysterious author place yes?

    ReplyDelete