Monday, July 20, 2009

reef of the devil

Day 326 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

So there I was, all geared up for a day of productive activities to complete, all set to tick them off of my rather extensive list - when the phone rings.

I answer it.

Would I like to participate in a game of Arkham Horror with every expansion, most notably the new Innsmouth one?

And I’m like - Yes!

And then the list went out the window, but such is life and I had a lot of fun playing the game.

The entertainment highlight (for me) came late in the second game (we won the first one too easily so began another) when my spy character, Trish, who really looks like Talia Winters, ended up going to Devil’s reef to close a gate.

Now, Devil’s Reef can only be accessed by boat and you need cash to get a boat. Let’s just say I was out of cash by the time I got there and was swimming for my life and sneaking by monsters (the spy’s speciality) like crazy going back and forth between two aquatic places when an empty boat drifts by.

I manage to get into the boat and make my way back to the docks, thinking this ordeal over, when I was promptly snatched by Deep Ones and pulled back to Devil’s Reef seemingly for their amusement. Just as my spy was cursing her luck a gate opens on Devil’s Reef and sucks her into R’lyeh - Cthulhu’s underwater dreamland.

Much hooting and tear-induced laughter was had at the expense of my poor spy’s predicament.

Let’s just say that after all she went through all this crap in Innsmouth (she managed to exit the R’lyeh gate and close it) she was consumed off Devil’s Reef and we conceded the game to the Great Old One. Well, it was way late and we were not going to pull off a victory.

Oh, the fun that you can have playing board games with others.

Turn off your computer, gather some friends, and give this retro social activity a try.

I think you’ll like it.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment