Sunday, July 05, 2009

history making

Day 311 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

On the tennis courts this day.

Federer will take Roddick in straight sets and clinch his place in history with 15 Grand Slam titles.

Nobody else has done it before since the open era starting in the late 1960s.

Right now Federer is tied with Sampras at 14 titles.

Even the mighty Borg only managed 11.

This is a pretty unbelievable feat, but what little I’ve been able to watch of Federer it’s really no wonder. The guy is like a machine, accurate as all hell, and he never seems to get injured.

His only competition is from Nadal, and he is out injured. Now, before you go saying Nadal is better (and he arguably may be) his playing style will leave him out in the dust before too long. The way he flails around hitting his balls and the way he moves with all his excess moves - he is destine for injury and early retirement.

Sorry, Nadal. Much as I admire your play, the way you play is going to wreck your body in short order.

So, today, in just a couple of hours, I’ll sit back with a coffee and watch history unfold in my favourite sport.

Now, all I need to find is some strawberries and cream and I’m all set.

Until tomorrow . . .

3 comments:

  1. Eugene1:52 pm

    Yay go Federer!!!

    So glad he won.

    I cant stand Nadal(or the Williams sisters, they are the worst thing to happen to womens tennis).

    Sleep beckons, its close to 4am here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grondzilla4:08 pm

    Straight sets huh?

    Roddick played a stellar game today and it was a matter of microns between the two.

    I agree about Rafa...he cannot keep at the game the way he plays and expect a long career.

    An impressive final in an entirely different way than last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as my next blog rectifies my error and smugness, I too was damn impressed with Roddick's play.

    Like, holy crap, impressed. He should have won actually.

    ReplyDelete