Sunday, July 26, 2009

concentration camps needed

Day 332 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I’ve been drifting pretty badly this summer so far.

There have been relatives visiting, with more on the horizon, and it’s taking its toll on my concentration for writing.

I need to go to a summer concentration camp and get sorted out.

But it looks like that is not going to happen anytime soon as half of August is booked with ‘other’ activities already.

I’m actually looking forward to September when the little one is off to school again and my wife goes back to work leaving me and my muse alone in the quiet house to churn out the pages of fiction.

This does not mean I have done no writing or reading this summer so far, but it means the amount I wanted to get done is far short of the goal I set myself.

But I’m wondering just how hard I should beat myself up over it.

After twenty years of cube squatting, I think I deserve a bit of a rest period before diving headfirst into the shallow end.

So, I’m going to take it a bit easier until the end of summer. I’ll still get my second draft completed and have my novel ready for shopping around by November, it’s just that most of the work will be done come September and October.

I think I just want to spend time with my family, and since we are all home all day this summer for the first time ever - it seems a shame to waste it by hiding myself away for hours in my lair.

Until tomorrow . . .

1 comment:

  1. Zilla's Other Half9:27 am

    I think if there's a way to edit *and* enjoy the great outdoors at the same time - you should try it :) However, I agree with you. Beating yourself up will make you resent what you're doing which isn't the point. And you do deserve to take a break from the mind-numbing tedium that you used to call a job and enjoy the time with the family that you didn't have before...

    ReplyDelete