Wednesday, June 03, 2009

ultimate carnage

Day 279 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Of what do I speak?

Another computer game, of course.

Doesn’t every computer geek love to play car racing games once in while? Well, I do, and my choice has always been the Flatout series when I need some car racing action.

I loved, still own and sometimes play, the original Flatout. It’s just plain fun to get into amazing wrecks and watch parts, and bodies, fly. I recall, back in my childhood days, a game I used to have called ‘Smash Up Derby’. It was a game where you had two wind up cars with about twenty parts that would fly off of them when you crashed them together.

Um, yeah, it was a blast, when you were ten.

Well, Flatout is the computer version of this old game I used to love.

Ultimate Carnage, the latest PC version of the Flatout series, started its life as a console game (which I do not play, PC only thank you) and really looks like it. It’s not quite as good as the original since the cars are smaller on screen and the car models, though okay, take a lot more hits before things fall off or body panels deform.

Not quite as satisfying as the old game. And in Carnage you can get away with totally outrageous wall crashing stunts, like hitting a rock cut at 90 miles per hour and not getting ejected from your car. In the original you had to watch what you were doing or find yourself flying through the air.

And cars will literally blow up in Carnage, where they never used to in the original Flatout. This is a bit too Hollywood for my liking.

Still, if you want a good crash up destruction racing game, the Flatout series is hard to beat.

If you want more realism, though still console silliness, try Grid.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment