Thursday, June 11, 2009

retiree tennis

Day 287 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Um, since I am ‘officially’ retired now from the cubicle life, though I am actively writing every day, I’m playing Thursday morning retiree tennis.

And yes, I am the youngest. There are a few in their mid-fifties, but none of my age.

So, they have all pretty much asked me, for the past several weeks - how can you be retired, you are way too young?

I tell them I’m a casualty of GM, and they give me the look, like poor-fellow-we-have-pity-on-you look. Then I tell them I’m writing, and they give me the other look, the you-will-need-to-go-back-to-work-soon look.

I’m quickly finding out that only writers understand the life of other writers. Common working folk, or retired folk, just don’t get it, do they.

It’s funny how much negative passive pressure is applied to any lifestyle or job which doesn’t fit the acceptable mold for Western society. What a bunch of pitiful sheep our society has turned into.

Still, I persist in writing every day and attitudes-of-others be damned. I wonder if most of the scorn comes from jealousy, or a realization that they would never take the risk of losing their lifelines to pursue something other than a mind-numbing day job?

Whatever the reason, most people I tell now st get the the GM-casualty-thing. It’s just not worth my trying to explain to them about the writing and getting that other look.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment