Wednesday, May 06, 2009

the scouring of the mire

Day 251 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I’m thinking my lair needs a good cleaning out -slash- reorganizing.

It’s the place in the basement that houses my computer, all my books, dvds, games, models, miniatures, etc. And it’s getting to be quite a collection - some would call it a total cluttered mess.

Some would be right.

So far, in the last twenty five odd years of my life, I’ve not been able to dump a lot of the stuff I have collected. Oh, I’ve brought back the token 500 books or so to used bookstores, but I feel like I should really get rid of about 500 more, plus many of the other “things” I just seem to hang on to forever.

I think I’m going to designate May as my lair scouring month. A spring cleansing, if you will.

It is going to be a difficult process though. Every item needs to be scrutinized as to wether I really want to keep it or not. I think I’ve put it off because I’ve always thought, well, one day I’ll use this again.

One day has turned into months, then into years, and in some cases, decades.

And a nightmare occurs if you ever have to move. Suddenly you find yourself with so much stuff you need a much bigger truck and a lot more friends to help you shift it.

It is not necessary to have so much stuff.

So, I think starting today, I’m going to take 15 minutes out of each day remaining in May and do a scouring.

If nothing else, it will at least clean up my lair and make my writing space a bit neater.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment