Friday, May 01, 2009

plain awesome

Day 246 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

No really, it was.

My going into the high school classroom and talking about writing was a huge success and a whole bunch of fun. It went so well because the students and the teacher were just plain awesome.

They asked great questions, listened attentively while I read my story and told my tales of how publishing works.

Right from the start I wasn’t nervous at all like I thought I would be.

I think a few of the students were surprised that I was a Mechanical Engineer turned writer. I did explain that many, many writers do not have backgrounds or Degrees in English. I’m just one living example of that.

Another reason it went so well is because writing is a topic I find I really love to talk about. Call it a passion, I guess. Writing is a pretty solitary exercise so it’s exciting to talk to a group of people about it when you get the chance.

And yes, I would do it again for sure. I may have another opportunity to go and talk to a grade 12 Creative Writing class. If I do that would be fun.

I did, as expected, get the question of “where do you get your ideas?” That’s a tough one. It was the one time I sort of blundered around in the dark, not knowing quite what to say. Ideas can come from anywhere, strike you like lightening or ferment in your mind for years until they surface. You get them from reading books, watching shows and friends interacting - just anywhere, anytime.

But by far the biggest shock to me of this whole experience? - after the class was over, a lot of the students wanted me to sign my short story (of which they all had copies). I mark this day then as my first author signing. That was something I won’t forget.

And, also at the end of class, I was given a gift (chocolates = Yum!) for coming and talking to the students - now how cool is that!

I know some of the students I talked to yesterday, as well as the teacher, may come here and read this blog.

So to you students and Mrs. M. - thanks again for the opportunity and making me feel welcome. It was great fun, I hope I gave you a taste of what it’s like to be a writer, and I hope you enjoyed having me.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment