Monday, May 18, 2009

perilous pit of procrastination

Day 263 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I knew it would come to this.

I believe all writers reaches a point, during that long work in progress, when they start to look at it and feel the bile wanting to crawl up from their gullets, leap from their mouths and strangle that current long work in progress to death.

I’m not quite there yet, but it is getting harder to motivate myself to work on my novel re-writes these days - but I am doing it anyhow, despite the leaping bile.

There are many tales from well know authors of this phenomenon, so I’m not shocked to find myself getting bogged down a bit at this stage. Several authors I follow on Twitter are in this quagmire right now, searching for anything else to do, and cursing yet another day of re-working that latest novel for the ump-teenth time.

I think it’s part of human nature to avoid dwelling endlessly on the same thing, over and over and over again. We want new experiences, new adventures, a new something once in a while, or we stagnate.

That’s the reason, I suspect, that “Typhoon Rising”, the novel I’m currently re-writing, is starting to lose its appeal. I still like it, and think it’s good, and I know it needs to be finished soon, but the slogging is hard going now and . . . oh, look at the shiny object . . .

However, I will press on despite a lair full of distractions.

Ben Bova, or was is Greg Bear, called this moment the ‘slough of despair’ and is no stranger to writers.

Personally, I call it the ‘perilous pit of procrastination’. It’s the place you end up during a long project where you start thinking of a hundred other things you could do instead of work away, yet again, on that same old project.

I could go on and on about it, but I should stop this blog, get up my courage, take out the red pen and start re-writing my novel some more.

I am almost finished chapter nine of thirteen - and that is darn far along. Too far along to skip off and start doing something else . . . but it’s so shiny . . .

(Mental SLAP!)

Erm, so I will do just that - get back at it now.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment