Wednesday, May 27, 2009

lost tales

Day 272 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

This may sound funny to a lot of you, but when I first started writing stories (oh, so many years ago) there were no such things as personal computers, as such.

There was the Commodore Pet, and that was about it. I don’t even know if you could write a story using it, or only load games on it from a tape cassette.

If you remember that, you are as old as I, or are an historian.

Anyhow, what I would do is sit in my parent’s basement (I sit in my own now via computer) and write, using a pencil on graph paper.

Why graph paper?

Well, as a D&D geek (okay, still am), what other type of paper is there?

Very few fragments of these lost tales exists, probably a good thing, but I do find them once in a while when I do some cleaning of the filing cabinets.

Which gets me to thinking about my visit to the British Museum and looking through all the glass cases at other writer’s works from ages past. All hand written, and I dare say, much more neatly than my own penciled scratches.

With the advent and popularity of the PC writing is almost exclusively done now on the machine.

It’s a shame really since scratching lines on a piece of paper is quite something to do, slows down the writing process, and can give you an appreciation for how it was done before you were born.

Times change.

Sometimes for the better.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment