Friday, May 15, 2009

long weekend

Day 260 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

That’s what my wife is yelling for joy today, and I’m thinking (after consulting my wall calendar) hey, that’s right.

Funny that. I actually have more work to do this “long” weekend than she has.

But, make no mistake fellow practitioners of this exciting, though tortuous, art - writing is all about the writing in case you were delusional. It’s about doing it every day, day in, day out. And it is very hard mental work. Think of it as your brain cracking rocks in the prison yard . . . but the fun kind of rocks; candy rocks where you get to choose what type of candy . . .

Some writers write more than eight hours a day, every day, including holidays. I think that’s why you see them on the New York Times Bestseller lists - or the wards for mental patients. Not because they are brilliant (and some are) - but mostly because they are dogged and persistent like there is not going to be any tomorrow.

I may get to that stage - but I don’t know when.

I still think I will tap out somewhere around the four hour mark - but who knows, when I end up with a contract and a deadline, I may be working my butt off ten hours a day for weeks on end - including “long” weekends.

But during this “long” weekend, it’s time to enjoy some family time, as well as crack the candy rocks.

Well, I do want to finish up what needs doing early so we can head off and get my daughter some camping supplies for next weekend.

So, I’ll be off then.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment