Thursday, May 28, 2009

get your back up

Day 273 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

You need to back up your electronic stuff - if you don’t want to lose it.

I’ve been very lucky over the years. I’ve not had a single computer crap out on me and so I’ve not lost a single electronic file I’ve not wanted to lose.

Still, it can happen. And when it does, if you haven’t backed up your stuff - poof - it’s gone.

The power went out in the morning yesterday and I didn’t lose anything because of it. But it made me realize how dependant we are on electricity. And yes I use a desk top, and no I don’t have a power backup like I should.

So, on to what to do.

I don’t burn anything do discs. I’ve found (and maybe it’s just Windows XP) that burning is not a reliable process for storing data. The three or four attempts I’ve tried have always ended in corrupt files and crap - but I got some new coffee coasters out of it . . .

What do I do?

Use thumb drives.

I have two of them. I should maybe have more. One I use every day, maybe a few times, during my writing sessions. The other I use once a week to back up all of my writing files.

This way, if the unlikely happens, I have two copies of all my writing to plug into another machine.

Sounds logical - but you would be surprised at how many people just don’t do it.

Others have not been as lucky as me.

So, spend that five or ten bucks and get a thumb drive or two and back up your files.

You won’t be sorry the day you hear a strange crunch inside your computer and it works no more.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment