Thursday, May 07, 2009

day of the vacuum

Day 252 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

As part of my lair improvement project (wonder if it qualifies for a government grant?) today is going to be vacuum and dust day.

I have one of those small hepa filters running in my lair all the time and when the light comes on, indicating that it is in need of cleaning out, I know it’s time to vacuum and dust my work area.

And how so much dust can accumulate is a mystery. I know most dust is dried, flaked off skin - call me reptile for the amount that builds up where I work. I must do a lot of head scratching while I write.

In closing (you would think this is a speech, wouldn’t you.) I’m going to tell you how many hours it has taken me to re-write half of my novel so far. This means getting the first draft into a better second draft. Double the hours and it should be about right for the full thing.

Drumroll . . .

A total of 50 hours so far. Doubled then is 100 hours.

Doing a bit of math then and betting on 5 re-writes takes me to 500 hours.

Add in the first draft which took about 50 hours, plus the editing time for all re-writes of about 50 hours and you have a grand total of 600 hours.

So, at first swipe, it looks like it takes me about 600 hours to write one short length novel (80,000 to 100,000 words).

My next novel is going to be more ambitious.

I’m thinking then, that about 800 hours is not out of the ball park to do it all.

If I’m writing 2 hours a day this equates to a novel every year to year and a half.

And you thought writing was easy . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment